Not all motor vehicle accidents are major collisions causing significant damage. In fact, many people involved in minor accidents will not need medical attention or require expensive repairs to their vehicles. These minor accidents are more easily resolved without the need for an attorney.
However, there are a great many other cases in which having legal representation can be absolutely critical. For example:
- A person who does require medical care and will continue to need follow-up rehabilitation will definitely want to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
- Similarly, any individual who misses time from work or has difficulty returning to work should also retain legal counsel.
- If you were hurt in a crash and are experiencing ongoing pain that affects your quality of life, you should also consult with an attorney.
Contacting an attorney is usually not a person’s top concern after a serious accident, but it should be. You have a limited amount of time to pursue a personal injury claim. Your attorney will want to take action quickly to preserve evidence and build a strong case for the maximum compensation you need to fully recover.
If you suffered serious injuries or your loved one was killed in a car accident in the greater New Braunfels area, you should contact Burch Law Firm today. Our attorneys will fight for the money you need to move forward with your life after a devastating crash.
Contact us now to schedule a free consultation. We represent individuals in New Braunfels, San Marcos, Seguin, Comal, and many other surrounding areas.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
- Free consultation to explain your legal rights. Our attorney is going to start by discussing your case with you during a free consultation. During this time, we will listen to your story, talk about the legal process, and answer any questions you have.
- Independent investigation. Next, our team will conduct our own independent investigation of your crash. The investigation will enable us to determine the cause of the accident, collect every piece of relevant evidence, and identify every single possible liable party.
- A thorough assessment of damages. More importantly, our attorney is going to be able to document all of your damages, accounting for every single expense and loss related to your accident. If there is any potential issue with liability, our lawyer can consult with experts to get answers to more complicated claims.
- Settlement negotiations and litigation. After our attorney properly tabulates all of your damages, we will be able to fight for a full and fair settlement to your case. If the insurance company for the negligent driver refuses to provide appropriate compensation, our lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court.
Why Is It Important to Contact a Lawyer Soon After a Crash?
One of the most important reasons to get an attorney involved in your accident as soon as possible is so you can be sure that all key evidence is preserved. Memories can fade very quickly after these crashes, but a lawyer can begin immediately documenting all of your losses.
Another very important reason to have an attorney involved sooner rather than later concerns dealing with the insurance company for the negligent driver. People who are not being represented by lawyers will often inadvertently say things that hurt their claims. An attorney can step in and handle all conversations with insurers so you do not have to be concerned with these issues and instead can focus on your recovery.
How Will a Lawyer Determine What Compensation Should Be?
Compensation for a car accident claim often comes in the form of a settlement. That is because most insurance companies are going to refuse to take any case to trial because of the significant risks and costs involved. Still, there are car accident cases on occasion that do have to go to trial, so you need an attorney who is skilled at both settlement negotiation and litigation.
The damages that can be recovered in a personal injury claim are typically divided into two categories:
Economic damages relate to the actual hard costs associated with a person’s injuries. Economic damages frequently include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
Noneconomic damages are much more subjective and generally do not have a predefined value. Noneconomic damages might be for:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
Certain cases could also result in exemplary damages, more commonly known as punitive damages or vindictive damages. These awards are quite rare as they must be proven by clear and convincing evidence that harm resulted from a defendant’s fraud, malice, or gross negligence.
Start Your Free Consultation with a Car Accident Lawyer Now
Some people believe that they are capable of negotiating their own settlements in their car accident cases. These individuals quickly learn that insurance companies will often engage in a number of tactics to reduce or outright deny their injury claims. You do not want to take any chances in resolving your own car accident case.
Did you suffer severe injuries or lose a loved one in a car accident in New Braunfels or a surrounding area of Comal County? Contact Burch Law Firm to receive a free, no-obligation consultation right away. Our firm has a long track record of success in securing satisfactory verdicts and settlements for our deserving car accident clients.
Call us or contact us online to speak with a member of our team now. We are always available to meet with you in our office or at any location that is most convenient to you.