Car accidents are most commonly caused by one or more drivers acting negligently or carelessly while they are behind the wheel. Unfortunately, there are many negligent acts that can lead to a crash, but some are more common than others. Below are some of the most common causes of car accidents in New Braunfels, and throughout the rest of the state of Texas.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Of all the crashes on the roads in New Braunfels, common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Although texting and driving is illegal in Texas, too many drivers still engage in this practice when behind the wheel. In addition to texting, distractions while driving include eating, grooming, loud music, GPS, and changing radio stations, all of which take a driver’s mind off the road.
- Drunk driving: Even with all the awareness surrounding the dangers of drunk driving, many drivers still get behind the wheel after having too many drinks.
- Fatigued driving: Fatigued driving, also called drowsy driving, can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. When motorists are too tired to drive, they should always find a safe place to pull over until they can get some rest.
- Aggressive driving: This driving behavior can include changing lanes too quickly, excessive speeding, and following other vehicles too closely. People often drive aggressively because they experience road rage, which effectively causes them to use their car as a weapon.
- Speeding: Even driving a few miles over the speed limit can cause a crash. Speeding does not only cause accidents, the impact of speeding also increases the severity of these crashes.
- Tailgating: When drivers follow other vehicles too closely, they do not have enough time to stop, particularly if the vehicle in front of them needs to slow down or stop abruptly. This can result in serious accidents.
- Failure to yield: Right-of-way laws and yield signs are there for a reason. When drivers ignore these important rules of the road, they can cause serious crashes.
- Poor weather or road conditions: Texas may not have snow or ice regularly, but the state still sees a number of severe weather conditions that create hazards on the roads. Floods, heavy rains, hail, and tornadoes are just a few of the types of severe weather Texas experiences. Even when these weather conditions make the roads more dangerous, drivers are still expected to drive appropriately. When drivers feel the roads are too risky, they should not get behind the wheel.
When drivers choose to behave dangerously behind the wheel, they put everyone around them at risk. These dangerous drivers should be held accountable when their negligence leads to serious injuries in a crash.
Need Legal Assistance? Contact Burch Law Firm
Car accidents happen every day throughout Texas. When you are involved in a crash that was caused by someone else, you can file a claim for compensation to help you recover from your injuries. Before filing a claim, call our New Braunfels car accident lawyers at Burch Law Firm. We will prove who was at fault for your accident and hold them liable for paying the full amount of compensation you deserve.
If you have been hurt, contact us now to arrange a free no-risk consultation.