The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Texas is two years from the date of the car accident. If police weren’t called to the scene to perform an investigation, you are required to file a crash report with law enforcement within 10 days of the accident. In addition, insurance companies have their own deadlines for reporting accidents that are outlined in their policies.
If you were injured in an auto accident, you should talk to an attorney to begin work on your claim as soon as possible. There is a lot of legal legwork that must be done to prepare a strong claim for compensation. So the sooner you seek legal advice, the better off you will be.
What Needs to Be Done Before You File a Claim?
Whether your injury is minor or life threatening, the aftermath of the crash can be chaotic and stressful. There are several crucial steps that you should always take to protect yourself and your rights after a crash. These include:
- Call the police. An officer should be called to the accident scene to perform an investigation. If you know the other driver was at fault, having documentation of that in the police accident report will help with your insurance claim.
- Exchange contact and insurance information. Write down the other driver’s name, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance company, and policy number.
- Take photos. If possible, you should take photos of the accident scene and all vehicles involved in the crash. Also take photos of your injuries.
- Talk to witnesses. Obtain names and contact information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Seek medical attention. You should always go to the hospital or urgent care within a day of the accident. If the physician tells you to follow up with your primary care physician or a specialist, be sure to follow their orders.
As soon as you can, contact an attorney to discuss the details of your case and learn about your legal rights. You can trust that the insurance company will begin working on the case immediately. So it is in your best interest to have your own lawyer on the case right from the start.
Talk to a Lawyer Now for Help Filing Your Personal Injury Claim
Contact Burch Law Firm today for a free consultation with an experienced New Braunfels car accident lawyer. Our legal team has the skills and resources necessary to help you demand the full compensation you deserve.
When you hire our law firm, you will be in direct contact with one of our lawyers and will work with them from the very beginning until your case is resolved. You will not pay any fees upfront to get started on your car accident claim. And you do not pay any attorney fees unless our firm wins compensation for you.