They say “accidents happen” – and they do, every day, in New Braunfels, Texas and communities throughout Central and South Texas, such as San Marcos or Seguin. But what this saying doesn’t mention is that most accidents can be prevented – and that they are often not the fault of the person who suffered the worst injuries.
Millions of Texans rely on the public roads to get where they are going every day. To get there, they travel by car, truck, bus, motorcycle, bicycle, or even on foot. Everyone on the road has a duty to use reasonable care to travel safely. When even one person neglects this duty, serious harm can result.
The accident injury attorney’s at at Burch Law Firm have more than 23 years of experience helping people who have been injured in all types of accidents. We work one-on-one with our clients to carefully evaluate the merits of your case and provide the valuable insight you need to understand and protect your legal rights. No matter what kind of accident you’ve suffered, we encourage you to contact us today for a free and confidential consultation.
What Causes Traffic Accidents?
While each accident is different, most accidents result from one or more common causes. The most common causes of accidents that we see in our legal practice include:
- Distracted driving. Texting, talking, eating, reading a map, resetting the radio, checking social media – all of these distractions can pull a driver’s mind away from the road long enough to cause a crash.
- Drunk driving. Driving while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs remains a serious problem on Texas roads. These drivers put many lives at risk when they choose to get behind the wheel.
- Traveling too fast for conditions or exceeding the speed limit can prevent a driver from seeing another vehicle ahead or from stopping in time to avoid an accident. Speed may also cause a driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Failure to account for roadway conditions. Rain or snow, broken pavement, roadway construction, and other hazards can contribute to an accident if a driver is not paying attention or fails to adjust their driving to ensure they can control the vehicle and stop safely.
- Negligently maintained roadways. Broken pavement, poor engineering, or malfunctioning signals can all cause or contribute to an accident if they are not promptly fixed.
- Defective vehicles or equipment. A hidden defect in a car or cycle may cause a malfunction that leads to a crash. Worst of all, it may be impossible to identify the defect until after the accident has occurred.
What to Do If You’re Injured in an Accident in South Central Texas
If you are injured in any kind of accident, keep these steps in mind:
- Get to safety.
Check to see who is injured in the accident. If you can, move both vehicles and people out of the way of traffic, so that an oncoming driver does not make the situation worse. Use items like flashlights, hazard lights, reflectors, or road flares to warn oncoming traffic of the accident.If anyone is unconscious or is complaining of head, neck, or back pain, do not move them. For any type of injury, call 911 or the local emergency number immediately.
- Get to safety.
- Gather information.
If possible, take photos of the accident scene, or draw a diagram. Write down everything you can remember from the moments leading up to the impact. If there are witnesses who saw the accident or who stop to help, try to get their names and contact information. Remember to get the name, insurance information, and contact information of anyone else involved in the accident, too.Were you in a severe accident that prevented you from gathering this information? If so, it’s not too late to start gathering information. A copy of the police report may contain many useful items. Your lawyer can help you investigate.
- Gather information.
- Do not admit fault.
It’s human nature for many of us to apologize when we are involved in a harmful situation like an accident. In the moment, you want to do everything you can to make it right, even if that means saying “I’m sorry!” even when you don’t know for certain that the accident was your fault.Resist the urge to claim responsibility for the accident, even if you think you are at fault. Accidents are shocking, often traumatic moments, and your memory of the crash after it happens will be full of the pain and fear you experience, which can blot out memories of the facts. Also, there may be facts you simply cannot know when the crash occurs – like whether your vehicle contained a hidden defect that made it impossible for you to avoid the crash.
- Do not admit fault.
- Call an experienced lawyer.
Contact an attorney as soon as you can after the accident. Choose lawyers with extensive accident experience, who are willing to work closely with you to ensure that your current and future needs are met.When you seek a settlement or a court verdict in an accident case, you have one opportunity to receive compensation that meets not only the expenses you’re already facing, but also the expenses you will face in the future for additional medical care, lost wages due to disability, and other costs. The sooner you contact a lawyer, the sooner you can begin building a case that demonstrates the full extent of these needs and your right to compensation.
Aggressive Representation, Personal Service
At Burch Law Firm, our attorneys outnumber our support staff because our attorneys are the front line when it comes to working with clients. You talk directly with an attorney from the very first meeting. We find that this direct connection with our clients helps us to understand the unique details of your situation and build the strongest possible case on your behalf.
Some of our proudest results for past clients include:
- $1,847,000 settlement for farm worker who suffered serious electrical burns when improperly used equipment connected with high-voltage power lines in his vicinity.
- $510,000 settlement for driver who suffered a serious lower back injury when her car was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign.
- $250,000 settlement for motorcyclist who needed surgery to repair a broken hip after he was injured in an accident on IH-35.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, call an accident attorney in south Texas at Burch Law Firm today or fill out our online contact form, if that is more convenient for you.