There are many people and companies responsible for keeping a truck operating safely on the road. In addition to the driver, there’s the trucking company, the owner of the truck, the cargo loading company, those responsible for maintaining and repairing the truck, and many others. If any of these parties fail in their duties, the fallout can be a crash that causes serious harm to others on the road. At Burch Law Firm, we have extensive experience investigating complex truck accident claims. We are skilled at pinpointing the cause of a crash and identifying all the parties that should be held responsible. For help with your truck accident claim, contact us today for a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer.
What Are the Top Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are many different circumstances that can lead to a truck crash, and every case we handle is unique. However, some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, adjusting the GPS, listening to loud music, and talking to passengers are all types of distracted driving.
- Fatigued driving: Truck drivers work long hours and can get very tired. Fatigued driving is dangerous driving, with many experts saying that a certain level of fatigue is as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Impaired driving: Some truck drivers may take prescription or over-the-counter medications that can affect their ability to drive. Others may be impaired by illegal drug use.
- Unfamiliarity with routes: Truck drivers often drive in unfamiliar places. When they do, they often pay more attention to their GPS, taking their eyes off the road. This may lead to accidentally driving the wrong way on one-way streets or driving into other areas they are not meant to be in.
- Defective truck parts: When any part of a truck is defective, it can easily cause an accident. A tire may blow out, or the brakes may not work effectively. These are just two ways that truck parts can cause serious crashes.
- Improper maintenance: All parts of a truck must also be properly maintained. When they are not, the truck can break down and may cause a crash.
- Cargo shifts: Cargo that is loaded improperly can shift while in transport, which can throw a truck off balance and cause an accident.
- Driver inexperience: Truck drivers must have the knowledge to operate a truck safely. This knowledge only comes through experience. When trucking companies take shortcuts to get more drivers on the road quickly, they may not train them properly or ensure that they have the necessary experience.
After a truck accident, a lawyer from our firm can determine what caused the crash and pursue full compensation from the at-fault party(s).
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Help You?
When coping with a serious injury, no one should try to file a truck accident claim on their own. Trucking companies and insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with, and they will fight fiercely to minimize or deny your claim. Our lawyer will manage all communication with them and demand the maximum compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a truck crash, contact our New Braunfels truck accident attorney at Burch Law Firm today for your free consultation.