The aftermath of a serious accident with a commercial truck or 18-wheeler can be an incredibly trying time for victims and their families. These types of accidents are unique and often result in life-threatening injuries or even death. Along with physical and emotional trauma, accident victims can face thousands of dollars in medical bills, lost wages, rehabilitation costs, property damage, and other losses. For many victims, the price of fully recovering and moving on with their lives can mean financial ruin.
One of the most important decisions truck accident victims can make after a crash is choosing the right personal injury lawyer to fight for compensation from the at-fault party or parties. When it comes to taking on trucking companies and their powerful insurers, your choice of legal representation matters.
Before hiring an attorney, it’s important to meet the lawyer and ask questions about your case and the attorney’s experience handling truck accident cases in particular. At Burch Law Firm, our dedicated New Braunfels truck accident attorneys have extensive experience going up against trucking companies and their insurers. To discuss your case and learn how we can help, contact us today to set up a free consultation.
Questions on Legal Background
Like any job interview, talking about the lawyer’s experience is a good place to start. Some questions generally related to experience and background include:
- How many years have you been a practicing personal injury lawyer, more specifically, handling truck accident cases? This is important because truck accident cases often involve multiple parties and require specific evidence like vehicle maintenance reports, compliance with federal and state regulations, and driver training records.
- How many truck accident cases have you handled?
- What is your success record with those cases?
- How many cases do you settle as opposed to going to trial?
- How similar is my case compared to past cases you’ve handled?
- Are you a member of any professional legal organizations? Which ones?
- Are you licensed to practice law in Texas? A lawyer must be licensed in the state in which you live in or the state where the accident occurred.
Questions About How Your Case Will Be Handled
In addition to learning more about the lawyer, you also need to get into the details of your case. A fundamental question should be: “Do you think pursuing this truck accident claim is worth it?”
If the lawyer thinks it is, some additional questions to ask include:
- Who will I be working with most often? You or someone else? Will I interact with a lawyer directly or will my file be handled mostly by support staff?
- How involved am I expected to be in the decision-making process of my case?
- Will my case go to trial or is a settlement more likely?
- How much compensation can I expect to receive in my case?
- Will you update me throughout the case? If so, how often?
- What is the best way to reach you, and how quickly can I expect you to return messages?
Questions on Legal Fees
One of the most pressing questions for accident victims concerns legal fees. More directly, what does this all cost? Every law firm is different, but your truck accident case should be handled on a contingency fee basis. This means there are no legal fees you unless you win.
The retainer agreement will detail what percentage of a settlement or court verdict will go to legal fees. You may have other questions along these lines, including:
- How are you and your team compensated?
- Am I expected to pay you if we don’t get a settlement?
- Are there any additional costs or fees that may come up in the course of the case?
Preparing for Your Initial Free Consultation
Before your initial meeting with a truck accident attorney, it’s vital to do a little homework. Showing up to the consultation with your list of prepared questions will help you get to know the lawyer and get a sense of a potential future relationship.
Bring a pen and paper to write down answers or ask if you can record the conversation to reference. The questions should span across various categories including track record, legal philosophy, specific questions about your case, and how your case will be case managed.
Make sure to also bring all documents related to your accident to the consultation, including medical records, your own insurance coverage information, the truck driver’s and trucking company’s information, pictures of the damage and the accident scene, a police report, and any witness statements if you have them.
Above all, remember that you have decision-making power. Hiring an attorney is a big decision and begins a relationship that could last months or even years. You need more than an attorney who is qualified and experienced. You need one you feel comfortable around and who treats you with the care and respect you deserve.
Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers Today
At Burch Law Firm, we provide one-on-one attention to all of our clients. You will be dealing directly with an attorney right from the start. We are a personal injury law firm serving South Central Texas, including New Braunfels, San Marcos, Seguin, and Comal County.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, don’t spend another day worrying about how you are going to pay for medical treatment and other expenses. We have the experience, knowledge, and resources to stand up for your rights against insurance companies and trucking companies.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with a skilled truck accident lawyer. Our legal team can also arrange a meeting in your home or in a hospital room if you are not up to coming to the office or are having problems finding transportation. We want to make getting legal help as easy as possible for you.