Most people in Texas rely on cars to get them to and from work, school and social events. As a result, traffic in areas with rapidly growing populations such as Schertz has steadily increased. The rise in the number of vehicles on the roads has led to an inevitable rise in car accidents, including accidents that leave victims with serious injuries.
Burch Law Firm has more than a quarter-century of legal experience in assisting car accident victims and their families in Schertz and many surrounding communities in Guadalupe County, Bexar County and Comal County. Our firm has a record of success that includes:
- $852,000 settlement for a man who suffered a broken arm and multiple fractures to his leg in a head-on collision caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel.
- $510,000 settlement for a woman who suffered a serious lower back injury requiring surgery after a T-bone accident caused by another driver who ran a stop sign.
- $473,005 settlement for a mechanic who suffered back and neck injuries in a hit-and-run crash. Burch Law Firm located the vehicle and the driver and established that the hit-and-run driver was probably intoxicated at the time of the crash.
Why Do Car Accidents Happen in Schertz?
Schertz currently has an estimated population of 40,092, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. This figure represents remarkable growth. The city’s population has nearly quadrupled from the 10,555 residents it had in 1990.
Today, Schertz is the largest city in the Randolph Metrocom area, which includes 10 communities in Guadalupe County, Bexar County and Comal County surrounding Randolph Air Force Base. The other communities in the Randolph Metrocom area include Live Oak, Kirby, Converse, Marion, Cibolo, Universal City, Windcrest, Garden Ridge and Selma.
The effect of the region’s population growth can be seen in the number of traffic crashes. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), a reported 869 crashes occurred in Schertz in 2017 alone. The total includes three fatal accidents and more than 100 collisions that resulted in some degree of injury.
At Burch Law Firm, we know how negligence frequently contributes to these crashes. We have an extensive background with handling cases that involve:
- Reckless driving such as tailgating, failing to yield the right of way and disobeying traffic laws
- Distracted driving including texting, talking on the phone, eating, changing the music, and anything else that takes a driver’s eyes and attention off the road
- Speeding, which can lower a driver’s ability to stop suddenly in emergencies and can easily cause a driver to lose control (especially in bad weather)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including prescription medications), which can alter a driver’s ability to control his or her vehicle and make sound decisions behind the wheel
- Drowsy driving which can cause a driver to drift in and out of lanes and fail to notice other cars, motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians on or near the road
- Inexperienced teen drivers who are more likely to drive recklessly, text while driving or react poorly to unexpected situations
- Age-related problems or elderly drivers who may have a harder time processing and reacting to situations that they encounter
- Defective parts including brakes, tires, wheels and steering can cause catastrophic injuries on the road
- Dangerous road conditions such as poorly maintained roads, construction zones or roads with inadequate signage.
Any of these types of accidents can occur on any road in the greater Schertz area. Victims may be entitled to compensation for crashes caused by another driver’s negligence.