A traumatic brain injury can forever change a person’s life. Victims may suffer from impaired judgment and thinking, memory issues, emotional outbursts, and mobility problems. These severe physical and emotional symptoms can make it difficult for a person to recover his or her independence after a serious brain injury, and they can take an extreme financial toll on the entire family.
About Our Brain Injury Lawyers
At the Burch Law Firm, our compassionate New Braunfels brain injury lawyers understand that the road to recovery can seem overwhelming. That’s why we have spent more than 25 years fighting for the rights of accident victims who need maximum compensation in order to have the best chance at recovery. As true natives of South-Central Texas, our community-focused attorneys are known for:
- Friendly service and one-on-one attention that clients appreciate from a local law firm
- Strategic negotiation skills and aggressive litigation tactics that people expect from a big-city firm
- A long list of successful verdicts and settlements in a variety of personal injury cases
- Sensitivity to your concerns about being able to afford to hire a lawyer
Our experienced legal team believes that no one should be prevented from pursuing full and fair compensation for a brain injury due to personal finances. That’s why our dedicated Texas brain injury law firm provides free initial case consultations, and we do not charge attorneys’ fees unless and until we win compensation for you. To make the process as easy on you as possible, we also offer evening and weekend appointments at a location that is convenient for you and your family.
This could be the most difficult thing you and your family will ever face. Don’t do it alone. Let our New Braunfels brain injury lawyers fight for maximum compensation while you focus on healing. Contact us now to learn how we can make a difference in your case.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Throughout our legal careers, our skilled New Braunfels brain injury lawyers have helped countless families who are coping with the aftermath of all types of serious accidents. Some of the most common incidents that lead to brain injuries, according to the Mayo Clinic, include:
- Auto accidents.The head can be severely slammed around in any type of motor vehicle collision, especially in those that involve large trucks, motorcycles, bikes, or vulnerable pedestrians.
- Examples of these types of accidents include a slip and fall on dangerous property, a fall while working at a construction site, or a fall at a nursing home due to improper supervision.
- Acts of violence.Traumatic brain injuries are common among victims of domestic violence, child abuse, and gunshots.
- Sports injuries.Activities such as football, soccer, boxing, and other contact sports can lead to severe concussions and other brain injuries, particularly among children.
No matter what type of accident led to your brain injury, our dedicated legal team will conduct a thorough investigation to determine who was at fault and identify all possible sources of compensation. Schedule a free case consultation today to get started.
How Our New Braunfels Brain Injury Lawyers Will Build a Strong Case for You
At the Burch Law Firm, our knowledgeable attorneys know how to successfully negotiate a full and fair brain injury settlement offer. And we are committed to taking your brain injury lawsuit all the way to a judge and jury if the at-fault party refuses to accept responsibility for what you are going though.
After an accident, you can count on our dedicated New Braunfels brain injury lawyers to:
- Launch an in-depth investigation into your accident by tracking down witnesses and collecting every piece of evidence that could help prove fault
- Determine every potentially liable party and any other avenues for pursuing maximum compensation for your brain injury
- Enlist our expansive network of medical professionals, accident reconstruction experts, and financial planners to build a strong case
- Thoroughly assess exactly how this injury is affecting your life, financially as well as physically and emotionally, to pursue the compensation you need both now and into the future
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to negligence or dangerous behavior, don’t wait to get the legal help you need. Contact our New Braunfels brain injury law firm now to schedule a free claim evaluation.
Common Types of Brain Injuries
Our Texas brain injury law firm works with accident victims and families who are struggling to cope with various types of brain & head injuries.
Types of brain injuries we can help with include:
- Open head injuries, when the skull is actually punctured
- Closed head injuries, where the skull stays intact
- Concussions, both mild and severe
- Diffuse axonal injuries, in which the head is shaken forcefully
- Contusions, when the brain is bruised or bleeding
- Comas, which can last days, weeks, or more
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Any person who has suffered a blow to the head or has been in an accident involving a sudden impact is at risk for brain injury. Unfortunately, as serious as these injuries may be, symptoms may not appear immediately, so it is crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident.
The National Institutes of Health warns that brain injury symptoms can include:
- Headache (particularly if it gets worse or won’t go away)
- Confusion, lightheadedness, or dizziness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Tiredness or the inability to wake up from sleep
- Loss of consciousness, from seconds to hours
- Convulsions or seizures
- Changes to behavior or mood
- Trouble with memory or amnesia
- Loss of coordination
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs
- Blurred vision or uneven pupil size
- Ringing in the ears
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Slurred speech
Treatment for brain injuries can include emergency medical care, surgery, medications, and extensive rehabilitative therapies. The cost of treatment for a brain injury can be astronomical, so it’s important to have a knowledgeable lawyer on your side when calculating and pursuing compensation.
Language Problems Resulting from a Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injuries may produce a wide range of potential language disabilities. Ultimately, the type of disability a person will suffer from depends on where the injury occurred in the brain and how severe the damage is. The following disabilities may appear depending on these circumstances:
- Loss of language creation skills, both for written and spoken language.
- Loss of language comprehension skills, both for reading and for spoken language.
- Loss of writing skills due to nerve damage or spatial disabilities.
- Loss of normal speech articulation.
In addition to these language problems, some brain injuries may affect senses needed for normal communication. For example, a person may not be able to communicate as usual if a brain injury renders them deaf. Instead, they may need to learn sign language to communicate.
Dysarthria after a Traumatic Brain Injury
When a person sustains a serious injury to their brain or the nerves controlling the body’s speech organs, one side effect they could experience is a significant loss of speech control. Unlike other language disabilities, dysarthria occurs when the nerves or motor signals themselves are disrupted when a person tries to speak. As a result, a person may be fully in control over their language abilities, but can have drastically changed speech patterns when they actually try to put their thoughts into words verbally.
How Does Dysarthria Work?
A person suffering from dysarthria may still be able to produce language that is perfectly understandable. However, the quality of their speech may be noticeably and uncontrollably changed. This disability may alter the following speech qualities:
- Rate of speech
- Strength or degree of breathiness
- Quality of speech
Unfortunately, these aspects of a person’s speech may all be changed due to nerve or brain damage. While, this disability can often be treated through surgical or speech therapy options, both of these treatment methods can prove very expensive for an injured individual to manage. To cover these sorts of costs, an injured individual may want to consider filing a legal claim against the party responsible for the injury that led to the disability.
Contact Our Brain Injury Attorneys to Pursue Compensation
Determining the cost of a traumatic brain injury can be complicated. After all, how can you put a price on the way this injury has changed your life? Our compassionate New Braunfels brain injury attorneys understand that no amount of money can turn back the clock for you, but we will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. That could include:
- Payment for past and future medical bills
- Compensation for lost wages
- Property damages, such as to your vehicle
- Payment for physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Punitive damages to punish the at-fault party for extreme misconduct
Don’t wait to start getting the legal help you need. Call or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation with our dedicated legal team.
Texas Brain Injury Resources:
Texas Brain Injury Alliance
Brain Injury Association of America – Texas Division